Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Walking into 2008!

I hope you've learned by now that a long silence from our end, doesn't mean something has gone terribly wrong...believe me, WE'D WRITE! Instead, we're completely swamped by the new adventure of being a family of four and simply haven't had a free moment in weeks. We all came down with a nasty cold on Christmas Eve, and Elizabeth got an ear infection on top of that. As a result, she wakes herself up every morning with with a hacking cough and a vomit...ugh. After almost 2 weeks of antibiotics and prescription decongestants, she's improving, but still throws up every morning. Obviously this is stressful for all of us, so we'd appreciate your prayers for her complete recovery and our continued health. We also need wisdom as to where to take her in public during this winter...everywhere we go people have colds, and while we don't want to be isolationist, we live so close to the edge already, so a simple cold is a major hurdle.

Aside from her cold, Elizabeth is doing beautifully. She continues to thrive on her formula diet, and in hindsight, we're considering it a bit of mercy that she went back to being tube-fed before Ruby arrived. While it does complicate some things, it also simplifies our life in other ways. In the middle of figuring out what to do with a newborn (remember, we didn't bring Elizabeth home until she was 8 weeks old) and trying to recover from almost 6 months of sleep deprivation, to have to start all over and train Elizabeth to eat by mouth right now might have sent me over the edge. As it is, she's gaining weight like a champ, growing stronger every day and her GI system seems to have fully recovered from the multiple attacks last fall. At this point, we're hoping to teach the girls to eat together...maybe Ruby will be a good influence on Elizabeth! :)

We have a follow up appointment with Elizabeth's Gastroenterologist on the 26th, and hopefully will hear the plan for her next endoscopy to assess her verices. By then, the blood pressure medication will have had a good long while to work, and she'll be close to 10 lbs heaver! We'll keep you posted.

Finally, the best news of the season...Elizabeth is finally starting to walk consistently! I know we announced her first steps back in August, but because of her hospitalization and her underlying low muscle tone and loose joints, it's taken her a long time to master this skill. As I described it to a friend: crawling is easier and takes less work on her part, so walking is a "trick" for her, much like jumping or hopping would be for a typical toddler. Trying to coax her to walk for extended periods of time is like trying to coax a typical toddler to hop everywhere instead of walking. They'd tire quickly and go back to walking. Well, Elizabeth resorts to crawling after a few steps and as a result, it's taken a while to master it. But she has! She loves the praise she receives when she toddles around, and is especially excited to walk if we bribe her with hand lotion. :)

2 comments:

Fearfully. Wonderfully. said...

I am going to apologize ahead of time for this comment, it will probably be long =)

I found my way to your blog through Tawni's. I wanted you to know that I read your updates often, and even though I don't even know you, I am always encouraged by your writing.

I wanted you to know how much I admire your strength and faith. I know it has probably never been easy, but I read your updates and see the pictures and I only wish that there were more people in this world with the kind of trust in God that you and your husband have.

I have recently gone through 2 miscarriages in a row, and for the first time in my life I've been facing feelings of uncertainty and doubt in my relationship with Christ. I know that my circumstance is nothing compared to the things you've faced over the past couple years, but this has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through. I don't understand why God works the way He does, why certain people have the easy road, and others face circumstances that are beyond fair. There is so much that makes me angry - especially all of the uncertainty of whether there is something wrong with me and if I'll ever even be able to have children. The "why?" questions are so draining. I have all of this head knowledge of God, His Power, His compassion, His Plan, but I can't seem to make myself apply any of it to my situation.

Which is why you and your family are such an encouragement to me. Words of faith, and true God-given joy fill your words, beyond your circumstances. And while I'm sure it hasn't come easy, I know that your example and Elizabeth's life is being used to touch others, I know it has touched mine. I just have felt led lately to share that with you. Thank you for perseverence, and your faith - it has truly lifted me up.

Sorry for such a long comment
-Christy

Jamie said...

Hello... My name is Jamie, and Tawni is my cheer coach. I actually came across your page through hers and have had many conversations with Tawni about your family... I am curious if you can email me your email address, because I have something interesting that I came across and would like to send your way??
Jlynnnielsen@gmail.com
thanks you guys are so in my prayers, and it is so exciting to see Elizabeth walking!!!